More and more “green” cleaning supplies hit the market every day. At ServiceMaster ABC, we take a good look at these products, the claims about them and more importantly, whether those claims are actually backed up.
We check to make sure the products have Green Seal approval. Green Seal makes sure any product it stamps is environmentally friendly. It’s like the UL stamp on electrically powered devices.
Here are a few reasons why green cleaning is important.
1) What kind of cleaning chemicals are being used? The Environmental Protection Agency doesn’t always approve new cleaning chemicals. A lot of cleaning agents on the market today contain some pretty harsh chemicals.
2) Clean water is important. Chemicals like ammonia, phosphorus, alkylphenol ethoxylates and petroleum get washed into the water supply. You may believe it goes to a treatment plant and that’s the end of it. It’s not.
3) Better air where you are. A lot of cleaning supplies contain volatiles. That means the chemicals evaporate into the air. You don’t need to be breathing in things like Quaternary ammonium compounds. Indoor air quality matters. The filter in your HVAC only pulls out allergens and dust over a certain size. See what the EPA has to say about the air inside buildings.
4) Its safer. A lot of conventional cleaning products are pretty harsh. They can burn skin and eyes. Green cleaning supplies don’t have this corrosive effect.
5) Better for you. Green cleaning activist Sara Snow says, Triclosan, a common antibacterial agent found in many soaps, [may] mess with your hormonal system and thyroid. Most green or environmentally friendly cleaning products don’t contain antibacterial agents.”
6) Know what’s being used. There is no law requiring cleaning chemical makers to state what is in their products. Green cleaning products often do list the ingredients. That way you know what is being used.